Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Smart People Listen
What are words for, when no one listens anymore? --Missing Persons
Do you ever feel like everyone is speaking and no one has time to listen?
Words are a positive creative force. Think about it, one good comment can make your day, likewise, one bad comment can ruin it. God spoke the entire universe into existence, talk about the power of words.
Words are all around us but do we listen? We can listen but do we hear? Here is the deal...Smart people seek positive input: they find good influences, they listen and they get smarter.
I found an intriguing article at www.amoeblog.com by Billy Jam referencing a survey about what music people with hi SAT scores listen to. It is totally worth the read! (read it here) For the record, I've listened to U2 since i was 16.
Here are some additional thoughts about smart people an listening.
* Smart people see the need for positive input – they know they need something beyond themselves.
* Smart people find the target - you have to know what you are shooting at, in this case you need to find who you want to speak into your life.
* Smart people makes it a priority - if seeking positive input is important, it must be made a priority.
* Smart people listen - having someone to speak into your life means not just having them talk, but you need to listen.
* And lastly, Smart people respond - having all the info available, knowing the need for outside encouragement, having the right person to speak into your life, making it a priority also takes a servant leaders response. This requires asking the tough questions.
1. Are you tough enough?
2. Are you still enough?
3. Are you ready
A smart person listens; a really smart person listens to the right things. A really really smart person finds the right people saying the right things and listens well.
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry James 1:19